Finding the things in everyday life that make life wonderful...

31 August 2011

To Nice To Slice - Part Deux

Clockwise from top left: Pineapple, Vanilla-Caramel, Banana Split, Banana Pudding, Grape, and Chocolate Caramel
My previous experiences with this cupcakery were poor, but after a friend of mine said she had heard great things about it, I wondered if maybe they had stepped it up and changed their methods to improve flavor. Mom accompanied me again and off we went to try them again.  Six cupcakes were purchased, with my father taking one with him to work (I don't know what he though though as I forgot to ask).



Faint purple color
Grape - While a very interesting concept, you could tell this cake was moving past it’s prime. The froting had a good rock candy flavor to them, but the cake was very dry and lacked any flavor at all, grape or otherwise. I would have liked to have had some taste to it. Definitely a let down.



Chocolate - Caramel - the icing tasted like coffee and the caramel flavor was very fake - almost like very cheap ice cream topping which just does not appeal to me. Despite a moist cake (the moistest we had that day), the cake itself was non-descript which made for an overall flop.



Banana Pudding - frosting was very banana for Mimi, but to me it was much more of a fake, banana-rama candy kind of flavor. It was another moist cake, but it was no where near as good as mine.



Pineapple - Another interesting concept.  The cake was a plain vanilla and the frosting had a slight pineapple flavor that just wasn’t strong enough to make it work.  The dry pineapple on top wasn’t very appealing either, visually or texturally.



Banana Split - sum up in a word? YUCK! The fake strawberry frosting overpowered EVERYTHING else in the cake.  I have no clue what the cake tasted like because I couldn’t taste anything else. 


After two different attempts that have failed miserably, I am writing this cupcakery off. It's sad, since it is the only one close to us (though there are rumors about there being a new one opening up in Jacksonville).

No comments:

Post a Comment