Finding the things in everyday life that make life wonderful...

06 October 2011

Eva's Bakeshop

These babies suffered a bit from the drive. It was a hot summer!
On a trip out to Douglasville, GA, Mimi and I attempted to take advantage of the Going out of Business sale at Borders (which was not much of a GOoB sale to be honest). When we finished "shopping," we stopped by Eva's Bakeshop to try out their cupcakes. Six cupcakes for $10, so we selected a variety to try them out.

Hummingbird - A southern cake that I have never had the pleasure of trying, this was.... different. It tasted a lot like a banana bread with pineapple and pecan chunks in it and a cream cheese frosting with more pecans dusting the top. I'm not a big fan of nuts in my baked goods, nor did the pineapple chunks appeal to me, so this was not my favorite cake. It was also very dense and not overly moist.

Red Velvet - A decent cake, this one was VERY moist. I was not as impressed with the red coloring, feeling it should be darker and richer, but Mimi disagreed and said it looked good to her (it also looks a lot better in the pictures). I like that these cupcakes aren't overloaded with frosting and the cream cheese frosting had a good little tang to it.

Cookies & Cream - dense cake with a creamy frosting. This one (and all the rest) had been in the refrigerator for a bit, but to be honest?? I really enjoyed this one chilled. It was almost like a frozen oreo. The cake was also still moist despite the refrigeration. Even came with a chocolate wafer cookie on top, but mom ate that half not me. :-/ Mimi said this one was much more like "a chocolate cake with vanilla icing and an oreo stuck in it."

Key Lime - first bite was VERY tart.... the cake was a little dry around the edges and was not very moist. The frosting was also a very bold shade of green (though I did like the butterfly sprinkles all over it). I'm not a fan of key lime pie, so I can't say I'd ever love this one though. Mimi felt that the cake was chewy and overcooked.

Chocolate with Cream Cheese frosting - the cake was delicious... moist and wonderfully flavored, but there was just too much cream cheese frosting on top. I also don't really care for the combination of flavors there. So for me?? cake was a win and the frosting, not so much so.

Strawberry (with some chocolate crumbs from another cupcake. Oops!
Strawberry - not a fan of this one. The cake to me was a bit drier than some of the others and the flavor was muted. I did get some strawberry overtones, but they were almost fake flavored. Mimi said the same thing - a lack of flavor except for the bit of strawberry in the frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment